Helen Bolin is coming to town! And we are so excited to be hosting a trunk show for this renowned artist and interior designer at Huff Harrington Home Tuesday October 20th through Thursday October 22nd. We’ve been huge fans ever since our darling talent scout extraordinaire, Allison, brought her work to us a few years back. Her stacked crosses, gorgeous ornaments, framed artwork, chunky hearts and decorative bowls have flown out of our store from the first day we had them — and we all swoon over the pale colors and her gorgeous signature gold leaf that glows with patina and crackled age.
We decided it was time to know more about her, so for those of you who don’t know, heeeeere’s Helen!
HH: Helen, where are you from?
HB: I am from one of the loveliest parts of South Louisiana, Baton Rouge. I earned an interior design architecture degree at the University of Louisiana in Lafayette.
HH: How did you get started?
HB: I have been painting my entire life. After college I took a 25 year hiatus and restarted painting about 10 years ago.
HH: What was your inspiration to become an artist?
HB: It just happened, so many artistic and creative friends surrounded me that I was encouraged to create also.
HH: What do you love to create?
HB: Much of my work is spiritual. It may be the influence of attending parochial school my entire life.
HH: How has your work evolved?
HB: I have incorporated texture into both my canvas and clay art. I also have developed a small home line of pillows, benches, and tables featuring my signature gold leaf.
HH: Where do you get your inspiration?
HB: Historical architecture from both New Orleans and Baton Rouge inspire me. I may be walking and see something that captures my attention and I photograph it immediately and then sketch from the photograph. The appeal of an older building offers me the most inspiration.
HH: Who is your most inspirational role model?
HB: My mother is my inspiration. She is retired and at 84 she still gets up every morning and paints.
HH: Tell us about your dog!
HB: Coco is mistaken often for a Schnauzer, but she is a Snoodle, a cross between a Poodle and a Schnauzer. She is a regular in my studio and keeps a watchful eye in the courtyard.
- Place to travel: my favorite travel destination is always my next trip .. and I have an upcoming trip to Italy.
- Hotel: The Roosevelt in New Orleans. It is a fantastic piece of New Orleans history.
- Restaurant: Anywhere! I don’t cook, so restaurants are my allies.
- Drink: Franks Family Chardonnay.
- Book: The last book I read was Harper Lee’s Go Set a Watchman
- Movie: Anything with George Clooney, my favorite is Oceans
- Happy mood song: I don’t have a standby, but when something surprises me on the radio it can immediately change my mood.
- Way to unwind: Painting and exercise.
- Happiest when: I am in the studio creating!
- Favorite quality in others: Uniqueness and originality. I love when a genuine personality or style is displayed without apologies.
- Wish I were better at: Saying no. Sometimes I overload myself.
- Interior designer:– Uh Oh! I can’t answer this, so many of my friends are designers and myself.
- Color: All colors in the blue to gray spectrum.
- Dream house: My house!
- Go to Room: My bedroom.
Helen, we can’t wait to host you at Huff Harrington Home for your trunk show, Tuesday to Thursday, October 20th to 22nd. (And could you please bring Coco?)